Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Countdown

The first possible translation for chiachierone (k-yak-yaironay) cicerone (chee-che-ron-ay) is something of an easy breezy persona, 'The Talkative Guide'. On the other hand, the second option for translation is the "Big-Mouthed Smart-Ass" and as I learned a few years ago from my mother's Italian friends, my name alone brings on a terrible secret translation. 'Becca' translates to 'beak', a beak that keeps getting stuck in others' business, or "That snobby little $#%!@ who keeps gossiping about me and my friends." So here I am, four days before I take off for the rest of the year, and I want to make two things perfectly clear. Rebecca, the kind biblical figure will be the perfect name for me, and which ever way you bend my type to fit a tone, I swear, I was never trying to be a smart-ass on purpose (though I can assure you I will be offering heaping plates of sarcasm).

I take off August 25th, and if all goes well, I will be in Rome with my group headed toward Siena on the mid-afternoon of the 26th. The summer has gone quickly, but it always goes quickly, and I've collected everything I could think of from the visa to the nice new sweaters. All that is really left is the mental preparation, and of course, the packing.

So, in accordance with everything else, I have created this blog. My hopes and wishes are to share thoughts with whoever is willing to read, and share it all through one basic theme: food. You could die, right? (Okay, I think I was being a bit of a smart ass there). I will use food as an outlet to observe family, friends, and social settings within Italy, and hopefully, practice my photography.

So, for now, I'll sit here and watch Star Trek The Next Generation with my father (who a few moments ago, did inform me that someone can be called a smart ass for being sarcastic), and dreaming about the days to come.

Greetings and Salutations!

Rebecca, La Chiacchierona

No comments:

Post a Comment